Slow or Interrupted MailSuite Response (Updated on June 29, 2017)
Updated: June 29, 2017
June 21, 2017
Overview of the problem
It has been reported that MailSuite, which is the email server for ECCS Staff Email and MailHosting services, is unresponsive or taking too long to respond when sending and receiving emails.
We are currently investigating the cause of the problem.
Windows10 Creators Update (Added on June 29, 2017)
- June 29, 2017, A Windows update that may contain fixes for the cause of this problem has been released. We suggest that those experiencing the problem try the Windows Update.
- A notification has also been released through UTokyo WiFi. When accessing with UTokyo WiFi, please refer to the following website. (currently available only in Japanese)
- There have also been cases where users experience a drop in their WiFi connection speed due to errors with their WiFi drivers after applying the Windows10 Creators Update released in April 2017.
- The following web address links to a specific thread on the Microsoft Forum about this issue. If you decide to try the suggested fix, which may require some professional operations, please try it at your own risk.
- Microsoft Community: WiFi issues with Creators Update
- In broad terms, the fix involves either restoring the WiFi interface driver to a previous version or changing the settings related to the conditions that are causing the problem.
- Please note that at this time, we are treating the update as one of many possible causes of the problem. As such, we cannot guarantee that the problem will be solved by the above fix.
Confirmed Details and Conditions
- The problem occurs regardless of whether accessing from webmail or email clients.
- It may occur when using wireless LAN.
- Most reports of the problem have involved users accessing through wireless LAN (UTokyo WiFi, eduroam, etc.). However, there have also been reports of this problem occurring when accessing through wired LAN.
- It may occur at different frequencies depending on the time.
- It has been observed that the problem occurs more frequently in the morning and less so towards the evening.
Points to be considered
When you contact us about a similar problem, please give us the following information.
If you are a MaillHosting user, we ask that you to first contact your domain administrator and ask them to contact and provide us with the following information.
- The details of the network which the problem occurred, and whether it is a wired LAN or wireless LAN
- e.g.) UTokyo WiFi wireless LAN
- e.g.) wired LAN in the XX department
- e.g.) wired LAN in XX University
- The details of the terminal on which the problem occurred
- Operating system
- The name/type of the web browser or email client, and whether using POP or IMAP
- IP address (Please refer to each operating system’s guides on checking IP addresses)
- Mac address (Please refer to each operating system’s guides on checking Mac addresses)
- Location where the problem occurred
- If on-campus, the name of the department and building.
- If off-campus, the name of the location and organization that hosts the terminal or network.
- Date and time when the problem occurred
- When possible, down to the nearest minute of when the problem occurred. If not, please take a note the next time the problem occurs and inform us afterwards.
- If you only experience the problem some of the time, please inform us the detailed dates and times of then it occurred and when it did not.
Regarding our response
At this moment, we have not yet determined the cause of the problem and are currently investigating and gathering further information about the problem. As such, our response to any inquiry will be limited to taking note of any information you give us.
We will update this notification as soon as we have made progress on this issue.
Thank you for your cooperation.