[ECCS Cloud Email] Are ECCS Cloud Email and Gmail exactly the same?
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Updated: April 12, 2022
July 01, 2016
ECCS Cloud Email is a Gmail specification mail service which uses the "Google Workspace for Education" provided by Google Inc.
However, some of the standard Google function cannot be used because the ECCS Cloud Email is associated with the UTokyo Account. The following functions are only for ECCS Cloud Email.
- The domain name is g.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp. (it is not gmail.com)
- The domain for ECCS Cloud Email has been set as "g.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp". Please enter the complete email address including the domain name when you login to ECCS Cloud Email.
- The availability of the account is associated with the UTokyo Account
- The ECCS Cloud Email is the email service for members of the University of Tokyo. If you have a valid UTokyo Account, you can start using ECCS Cloud Email anytime. Please be aware that if your UTokyo Account has expired due to graduation or transferring out of UTokyo, your right to use the ECCS Cloud Email will also automatically expire as the accounts share information with each other.
- Expiration of the account is a little more complicated than this. Please see the following website for more information.
- Managing email password through the UTokyo Account interface
- ECCS Cloud Email has a password of its own, and which is different to the one for the UTokyo Account. The password can be changed through the ECCS User Menu. Please note that you cannot take the same password change procedure as the standard method for Gmail. You will be redirected to the ECCS User Menu even if you try to change password like using the standard method for Gmail.
- You must change the password before using the service because a random password is set when you first create an account.
- Please refer to the following website for details
- The User name part can be changed
- The account name cannot be changed in standard Gmail, but you are able to change it in ECCS Cloud Email. The change can be made from the ECCS User Menu. On the other hand, it can be changed in ECCS Cloud Email. You can change it from UTokyo Account User Menu.
- Please note that there is a limit number of time changes can be made.
- The periods/dots from the recipient email address cannot be omitted when you are sending an email to an ECCS Email address
- When sending an email to a Gmail address, it is possible to omit the periods/dots included in the user-name part of the email address as Gmail does not recognize them as part to the user name. However, when sending an email to an ECCS Cloud Email address, please be sure to include the periods/dots as they are recognized as part of the email address.
Other functions or basic use are based on Gmail.
Please first visit the Gmail Help Center for any questions about how to use it.
Inquiries that many people ask will be posted on the section for
emails in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).