Notice for ECCS users leaving the University of Tokyo following graduation, retirement, or resignation
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Updated: February 08, 2021
March 05, 2018
The use of various services has been suspended following your UTokyo Account becoming invalid
The Educational Campus-wide Computing System (ECCS) provides exclusive services for members of the University of Tokyo.
Therefore, your rights to use the ECCS will be revoked when you leave the university.
Access to various services authenticated by the right to use the ECCS will become unavailable at the same time as your UTokyo Account becomes invalid.
Please note that the UTokyo Account does not always expired at the end of March, but may expire at a time you do not expect (such as immediately after graduation or completing graduate school)
※Please be aware that there is not a problem with the ECCS, even if you cannot log in to "UTokyo Account User Menu". Please contact the academic affairs office (for students) or the personnel division of your department/faculty.
|Major Services that become unavailable|
|ECCS Multifunction Printers|
|ECCS Cloud Email（including additional services such as Google Drive、Calendar|
|ECCS Staff Email（for academic and administrative staff only）|
|Remote Access Environment|
|Secure WWW Server|
Email forwarding for both ECCS Cloud Mail and ECCS Staff Email to an off-campus account, however, is available for about 180 days after deactivation if you set up or arrange the forwarding service while your UTokyo Account is still active.
You can still read emails that are sent to your ECCS Staff Email or ECCS Cloud Email address through the mail server of your designated forwarding address during this period.
Setting Up Email Forwarding to your ECCS Staff Email or ECCS Cloud Email address
After logging in to GoogleMail, go to “Settings (gear icon)” > “See all settings” > “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” > “Forwarding''
For details, please refer to Automatically forward Gmail messages to another account - Gmail Help (google.com).
Tips & Points for Setting Up Email Forwarding
- After clicking the “Add a forwarding address” button, a confirmation email from ECCS Cloud Email will be sent to the forwarding email address.
You can set the forwarding email address by taking either of the following actions.
- Enter the confirmation code described in the confirmation email and click the "confirmation button".
- After approving the automatically forwarding mail request from the link in the confirmation email, go back to the "Forwarding" setting screen and refresh your browser.
- When setting email forwarding, you can choose what you want to happen with the Gmail copy of your emails. It is recommended that you select " keep ECCS Cloud Email’s copy in the Inbox."
By making this setting,you can log in to ECCS Cloud Email and read and write emails until graduation or retirement, and after graduation or retirement, you can continue to read emails that were already sent to the forwarding email address.
- After finishing setting up the forwarding, please make sure to check that emails have arrived at the forwarding email address.
Please note that the settings will not be saved unless you click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the "Forwarding and POP / IMAP" screen.
- ECCS Staff Email (@mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp) was transferred to the Gmail based ECCS Cloud Email in July 2020. However, the forwarding settings in the old system (MailSuite) have not been carried over.
For details on the above system transition, please refer to Information on the system transition for the ECCS Staff Email
Notes for users who do not set up the email forwarding
- Once your UTokyo Account has been revoked,you will no longer be able to arrange email forwarding.
- Even after your UTokyo Account has been revoked, emails will continue to be received by your email account as usual. However, you will not be able to read those emails.
As the emails are being received by the system normally, no error messages will be returned to the senders.